Wednesday 17 March 2010

My Grandmother's Funeral (and thank God for facebook).

A part of a students life, as well as studying, is the unexpected events that life can bring such as the death of a loved one; last year it was my sisters beloved cat, Basil.  This year it was my 92 year old Grandmother, who, by the way, was in a state of perfect health, and on the night of Thursday the 11th of March, slipped away quietly in her sleep.

Her funeral was the following Wednesday (Yesterday, as of my typing this), and I had to fly back to my home to town to attend which included the missing of some classes, but as they were all lectures, it hardly really matters all that much.

At the funeral were family members, who, if not for my telling them through facebook would have perhaps never have known, which made me all that much happier that I found them on facebook when I did a few months ago.

One Aunt was considering not showing up for fear that her ex (my biological uncle) would be there and cause havoc, however, that particular uncle's last words to his mother were something along the lines of "I don't have a mother any more."

Thankfully, the aunt and her five children showed up, with the sorry excuse of an uncle nowhere to be seen.

After all was said I done I took the afternoon flight back here to Sydney.

No comments:

Post a Comment