Saturday 13 March 2010

"I have immunity to certain house rules" - certain house mates' attitude's PART I

Of the two A4 pages worth of house rules, two of them are as follows:

1) "Residents are responsible for keeping the common areas clean and hygienic, with chores assigned according to an agreement made mutually made by all the current residents of the house.  This is particularly important in the kitchen, bathrooms and garbage area."

2) "Keep noise down to reasonable levels at all times.  After 10:00pm, any sound generated within your room should not be audible by other room."

It is the latter of these two rules I shall be commenting on first, as it's more personal.  (btw, the word "latter" does not mean "the last on the list," like many people believe - using it to make themselves look intelligent - but in actual fact means "the second of the two.")

First of all, I should make it known that in 2009 when I originally attempted university, the bedroom of the place I was staying in had a wall in common with the very big, very flat +103com television, that, so long as the owners of the house were home, was turned on, and very, very loud - I could literally hear every word, every sound, and every note of any program that was on; it was torture, and what I have come to deem "inconsiderately loud" (in that the owners took no consideration of the fact that they had students staying with them).

Keeping that, and the house rule I have listed as "2)" in mind, you'll be glad to know I was quite pleased when I read that rule, thinking I'd finally be able to get sleep at a decent hour of the night, so I could wake up early and refreshed the next morning (I generally like to go to bed at around 10:30pm, but admittedly, some times I'm in bed as late as 11:30pm).

The first few nights I noticed that my Ugandan house mate liked to have his music up at high levels (because obviously everyone else in the house has his taste in music) often leaving his bedroom door open when he's in the kitchen so he can hear his music.

I also noticed that after 10pm it only got turned down ever so slightly, with it still being loud enough to hear from my room.  Perhaps not loud enough for me to hear exactly what song was playing, but loud enough for me to hear that there was a song playing.

I thought I'd let it go for a few nights to see if it improved, and last night was by far the worst with the music being easily loud enough for me to tell exactly what song he was playing, which carried on until around three in the morning.

So annoyed was I by this that around 1:48am, after having already woken a number of times to the same piece of music being played over, and over, and over, that I got out of bed, turned on my computer and emailed my landlady about the situation.

I don't know if she mentioned anything to him about it when she was here this morning.

I don't hear any music coming from his room right now, but that's partly because of got my window open and the sound of traffic tends to drown everything else out ...

Okay, I just closed the window and laid on my bed as a test, and while I can hear it, it doesn't seem to be as loud as it was last night, however, right now it's only 9:34pm, so it still remains to be seen whether or not he has this attitude of thinking that this particular house rule doesn't apply to him.

I'll keep you posted.

- Ian (the guy in the Mario hat).


No comments:

Post a Comment