Wednesday 10 August 2016

Teaching in China - How I Met My Roommate (in Feb 2015).

I walked into my assigned hotel room, and noticed I was the first there.  Was it that I was lucky to get a room to myself?  Probably not.  We'd been told there were still a few on their way.

Two beds to choose from, so I take the one near the window, taking note of what my sister often says about people being less likely to take your seat if you leave your personal belongs there.  So I put my hat down, put some loose change and my sunglasses in it, and my bag on a chair by the table ... or on the bedside table ... I forget exactly which it was.  Anyway.  I made sure that I 'claimed' that bed as I my own, and whomever my room mate turned out to be knew it as soon as they walked it. (turns out when he first walked in (I was out with some other interns at the time) he wasn't sure if it was mine, or the cleaners just neglected to pick up the previous person's things (something like that, anyway).

Anyway, I've come back from a small night out, getting to know some of the other inters (most of them British, one South-African) and I see some luggage parked in the bedroom (keep in mind, my luggage is still in transit at this point - please read my previous entry for more information about that) and I wonder if the luggage is mine (the lights are off and I was gonna go straight to bed, anyway). The large luggage looks like mine, but seems to be the wrong colour.  I see the other bed is occupied and figure he probably just wants to sleep.  I go to bed and figure I'll worry about my luggage in the morning.

The next morning I get up and my roommate's alarm goes off, so I get up as well and we get talking and get along well.  We get ready and go to have breakfast with the other interns.

Turns out he's a legit teacher from the U.S. and even has some well-respected Japanese citizens as his students and even tells me the story of how he ended up being their teacher.

What can I say but to quote the immortal words of Darth Vader? "Impressive ... Most impressive." ... and plus I just wanted to shoehorn in a Star Wars reference.

Anyway ~

No comments:

Post a Comment