Monday 19 October 2015

Did I Tell You About That One Time I Made a Video Game?

This is going back quite some time before I went to China, or even had a TEFL/TESOL certificate.

As someone who's been playing video games since I was three - yes, three - years old, making a game is something I've long since wanted to do.

It's something I've talked about both casually and seriously with my friends and family and my friends often wondering how long it would take before I actually got around to it, procrastinator that I am.

Anyway, I think it was sometime in 2014 when I made a game I initially called "Touch My Balls". You can imagine most people's reaction to that title.

After some fine-tuning and mostly cosmetic changes (which was no easy feat), I changed the name to what it is today "Ball Popper" and uploaded it at http://www.ballpopper.me/ where you can find it today.

I've tried and tried to compress it down to an app to release on the android store (I'd probably sell it for $0.99) and yet I would receive error after error, and eventually just gave up.

Making a game was something I enjoyed, but ugh, it was just such a tedious task, and it didn't help that I'm not the most mathematically minded person in the world.  I had to keep asking my friend who works in I.T a better way to go about the lines of some code and if not for him, I probably would've given up on the game long ago.

Like me, he doesn't seem particularly interested in pursing the refinement of this game, and it's likely it's going to be left like it is for quite a long time, if not forever.

Anyway, please do try it out and share it with your friends.  Even if you don't like it, please share it with your friends anyway.

Again, the address is: 

- Ian.


No comments:

Post a Comment